Thursday, July 12, 2007

That Silly "8 Things" meme

I've been tagged so many times to do that silly "8 Things" meme that I finally broke down and did it... mainly so that people would stop tagging me to do it.

Now, I am supposed to begin this whole thing with a set of rules, but you know what, fuck the rules. We don't need no stinkin' rules. If you want the rules, go here and read them.

And since this is a pop culture blog, my 8 confessions have to do in some way or another with the subject at hand.

1. I cry at Babe. Correction, I bawl at Babe... and not just at the end. Intermittently throughout. So if you know me in real life, I will likely never watch said movie with you.

2. I have a degree in history, and I have an encyclopedic memory for names, dates and places and yet, I have trouble placing world events and incidents in my own life into their correct year and sometimes sequence. This extends to movies, albums and other various ephemera as well.

3. I've always preferred the sound of both female singers and keyboards/electronic sounds more than male singers and guitars. I don't know why that is. For most things, I can figure out the triggering factor, but for this particular predilection, I haven't found a root incident just yet.

4. I have never watched a full game of soccer in my entire life, and yet, I have a soccer game for every console I've owned since Gemini/Atari, and I've owned a lot of systems. And the fact that I bought said games rather than received them says so much more about that. No other sport has been so represented amongst my collections... which is especially weird considering my lifelong love of American football.

5. Up until about a week and a half ago, I didn't know that Bennett from Commando and Wez from the Road Warrior/Weird Science were played by the same actor, Vernon Wells.



6. I didn't really start drinking until I was 26. I used to say that I was predisposed to alcoholism like an oily rag is predisposed to burning, but that is tiresome now. I drink in extreme moderation and only socially, so a) I've never been hung over and b) I've never been too drunk to remember what happened the night before (I've been called the memory for the evening... which is ironic given the confession at #2). So basically, I was sort of faking it when I'd see characters plastered in a movie or tv, because really, I had no frame of reference.

7. I have a myriad of fears, but the most interesting of which is I have a definite fear of isolation. It isn't agoraphobia... it is more a fear of being somewhere there are no people... like farmland, the woods, outer space, being on a ship in the middle of the ocean etc. I don't go camping... ever, and I think that is the reason why movies like Alien, Alive and the Blair Witch Project are so effective at scaring me.

8. In all honesty, I probably couldn't name a single number one song from the past 2 and a half years. I don't listen to the radio at all, and the video channel that I used to watch has taken a turn for the MTV and doesn't really show videos anymore, so really, I am completely clueless when it comes to modern popular music outside of the movies and television.

--

And per my long-standing policy, no one is getting tagged. Do it if you want to.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the Babe sequel make you cry as well?

Anonymous said...

Say something butch and quickly because that Babe thing kinda shocked me...

MC said...

Tracey: A little bit yeah(especially Flealick's dream), but the first movie is like the Perfect Storm for MC weeping.

Dutchy: See, now you know why I am rarely emotionally candid in the realm of Culture Kills.

J.D. said...

Hehehehehehehe. Babe. Hehehehehe.

MC said...

Yeah, keep laughin' it up Butthead.