Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Maybe CSI:NY should investigate this

I was not an early watcher of CSI, I admit. But there has been something that has been bothering me for a little while now.

It lays mainly in the theme music for the second spinoff of the franchise, CSI: NY. You see, "Baba O'Riley", while being a great song by the Who, has no connection to any kind of crime fighting.

Am I being picky? I would say so. However, let's look at the facts.

The original show has "Who Are You" as its theme, and given the fact that it is about forensic scientists trying to solve crime through DNA and other evidence, it really fits.

Then there is CSI: Miami with "Won't Get Fooled Again" which isn't the most closely tied to the field, but an argument could be made that forensic evidence makes it less likely that the police/CSI's would get fooled by lies and such, so I'll buy it.

And then you have CSI: NY, with a song which has absolutely no connection to CSI whatsoever. Teenage Wasteland indeed.

Considering the fact that you could probably just throw darts at a list of songs by the Who and get a song that you could connect to forensics, it is just, I don't know, bad form on the producers' part.

To test this supposition out, I randomly chose two numbers and applied them to a who compilation I don't own to see if I could accomplish this feat. I chose numbers 3 and 7, then selected 20th Century Masters: The Best Of The Who as the compilation.

What did I end up with? "I Can See for Miles" and "Behind Blue Eyes".

Let's look at "I Can See For Miles" first. Here is the first verse and chorus.

I know you've deceived me, now here's a surprise
I know that you have 'cause there's magic in my eyes

I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles
Oh yeah

If you think that I don't know about the little tricks you play
And never see you when deliberately you put things in my way

Well, here's a poke at you
You're gonna choke on it too
You're gonna lose that smile
because all the while

I can see for miles and miles
I can see for miles and miles
I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles
Oh yeah


Now, you are telling me that they couldn't have had Gary Sinise looking at a crime scene with UV light and those special glasses, swabbing people and doing all the other CSI type things better to that? I mean, that has a lot more to do with the subject at hand than the current theme.

And then there is "Behind Blue Eyes", which is essentially about crime and conscience, and that isn't good enough for New York? Come on. Did they not even look for another song? If I can do better by random, how hard could it have been to find something when you were really trying?

*grumble* I guess maybe they are saving a song or two for the inevitable CSI: San Francisco or the like.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't watch any of the CSIs, either. When they come out with CSI: Disneyland, I'm totally there. Seeing Daisy Duck all in lycra and resisting arrest. Mmmm, yeah.

Anonymous said...

Interesting observation.

I like CSI:New York, but I hope there aren't anymore spinoffs. I like the stories, but it's really laughable when they make like DNA matching can be done overnight. (We wish.)

MC said...

Karl: Or CSI: Toontown even. Getting down to the despicable murder of Bugs Bunny by an overly-ambitious black duck.

Liz: I like the original now(because it is on everywhere), but there was a case that made me go "BS!". Grissom got a fingerprint from a feather. A FEATHER!?! That I couldn't believe, and it sort of wrecked the illusion for me. But I know they play fast and loose with time too.

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for CSI Seattle. Man dies trying to catch flying fish at Pike st. Public Market. Woman dies hopped up on Starbucks.
And my mom won't watch because she works for a sheriff's office and says it is ALL crap. None of what they do on the show is even close to real crime solving.
I like it for the writing and the hot guys. Except that David Caruso is still the worst actor in the history of acting. Ever. Period.
:o)
~Mary

MC said...

See, I can overlook huge things with my suspension of disbelief, but I always sweat the small stuff.

I guess that's why I can watch Prison Break and 24 and not stroke out. ;)