Wednesday, July 24, 2013

That Gran Turismo Movie

So someone thought it was a good idea to take a game that has no characters and make it into a movie... and I remember another movie that was based on a game that had no characters in it and how well that went over, and I am sure you've heard of it too.

It was called Battleship.

Now I'm okay with the second half of Battleship, but honestly, that was a movie where it was clear that from the outset, they didn't have any characters to actually run with and they decided to wing it, and that is never a good idea.

And that is what I am afraid is going to happen here.

Yes, it is a very lucrative series, but come on... off the top of my head, I can think of at least 10 racing games that have a narrative structure and characters that would probably work better in the context of a Hollywood movie. Especially since the thing that they are chasing is the success that the Fast and Furious franchise has, which is moving away from racing and Gran Turismo is no where near illegal street racing.


I think if they really wanted to get the essence of Gran Turismo, it would be a 3 hour movie about someone trying to pass one of the super hard license tests, because that is the first thing I think of when this series comes up.

I think the producers just want the name to attach to their anonymous racing picture. In any case, while I did like the games in the past, no matter how badly this movie turns out, I can't be really upset because like I said, there are no characters that I associated with the games so they can't ruin something it never had in the first place.

Of course, I think the real question is which movie is going to end up being worse, this or Hot Wheels

No comments: