Saturday, January 16, 2010

Week 36: Pageant of the Transmundane

A small town in Georgia (the state, not the country), forgot to have a municipal election in 2009. Forgot. The entire town. As one commenter on this story quipped, it looks like the Apathy Party won.

This week's winning entry makes me cringe a little bit. It is a blog entry from the craft site Lovelyish and once viewed, it can't be unseen.

Someone posted a tutorial for knitting tampons. I am going to let that sink in. Someone not only went through the process of knitting their own tampons, which I am sure took some time to do, but they are advocating other people do the same for environmental reasons.

Now let's not even think about the sanitary issues of knitting something like this which is specifically designed to be washed and reused. No, the thing that I immediately thought of was how itchy wool was when it was in contact with your bare skin. I cannot imagine how uncomfortable the above items would be inserted into one of the nerve rich areas of the human body.

Finding an appropriate image this week was a little more difficult than it usually is, but somehow I found a cross stitch of Homer Simpson that someone was selling on Ebay at some point and because that is in the vaguest way related to the winning entry, I ran with it.



Congrats to whoever discovered this and blogged about it at Lovelyish, and many thanks to Maven for referring it to me.



The rules of this little contest: Every week I will be selecting one blog post that I have seen from the vast reaches of the blogging village to bestow with the Homer Simpson Transmundanity Award for being one of the freakiest(in a funny way) things I've seen or read during a 7 day period. It doesn't necessarily have to have been written during the week, I just had to have encountered it. That means that if you find something interesting and repost it like a movie or whatever, if I saw it at your blog first, you get the prize. Of course, creating your own content is also a very good way to win.

Now, if you see a post that you think is worthy of this illustrious prize, just drop me a line at campybeaver@gmail.com and we'll see if we can't get your suggestion up and award-ready while giving you some credit and a link to your own blog.

10 comments:

Maven said...

Good times!

Vicki said...

I live in semi-little town in Georgia. Whether or not it's where I live that you found this...I wouldn't be surprised. After all, they did film Deliverance about an hour from where I live!

Megan said...

Well, for the first time, you have actually scared me away from a Transmundane entry. There is no way I am going there. My god. How could you possibly insert it? With a speculum?

*closes eyes and thinks about kittens and rainbows*

Anonymous said...

Knitting tampons? OMFG that is wrong on SO many levels I can't even begin to list them... Ewwwww

Arjan said...

eeew.

MC said...

Maven: Good times indeed. Cheers!

Vicki: it is a town with 100 registered voters.

Megan: The words that keep coming up when I think of this is painful, burning itching.

Dutchbitch: The idea that you could also boil them for sanitary reasons came up in that entry. I'll let that sink it...

Arjan: Summed it up in a word.

Kristyn said...

This has to be one of the creepiest things I've seen in a while! I mean, yuck, and LOL all at the same time. =P

Anonymous said...

Oh please don't! Ewwwwwwww

AG said...

Please be advised that I am still attempting to claw my own eyes out re this. Thank you.

MC said...

Kristyn: I think that this entry in the Pageant has received one of the most vocal responses a pageant has received in a long time.

Dutchy: It is nasty indeed.

AG: Well, I never said they were all going to be pretty. Puts Baby Glory Hole to shame, doesn't it?