Thursday, May 08, 2008

Ghostface Killah unites a superhero and a superracer

With the upcoming release of The Wachowskis take on Speed Racer, well, I was struck by a sudden and almost instantaneous pop cultural memory from the mid-1990's.

I remembered Ghostface Killah's video for Daytona 500, which is entirely built from clips from the original Speed Racer.



Interesting fact: The song is from Ghostface Killah's 1996 album Ironman, and Tony Starks is one of GK's rapping aliases, which seems to dovetail nicely with everything going on in the movies today.

Well, I thought it was a neat little bit of coincidence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, I'm not sure how I missed out on this video before.

Megan said...

I would call that a Wachowskis' influence...

MC said...

Sir Jorge: I remember it getting airplay very briefly in 1996.

Megan: Perhaps. I think it had a huge impact on Youtube music mashups though.