Friday, April 06, 2007

Culture Kills and the Video Game Meme

This meme is similar to one that I posted a couple of weeks ago, and because this is a lazy, Good Friday, well, I thought I would alter it to deal with another one of those interesting cultural phenomenon... gaming.

1. Name a game that you've played for over 100 hours or beaten 5 times of more.

Final Fantasy III(which was really VI)-Both, Chrono Trigger(beat 10 times), GTA:SA(more than 100 hours), NCAA Football 2000(25 seasons, every 12-14 games a year at about 1 hour a game.... you do the math) and Europa Universalis II.

2. Name a game that you've been Captain Ahab-obsessed with beating, but it eludes you like that White Whale.

Time Lord for the NES... I've come close so many times, but it beat me back every time.

3. Name a company or franchise that would make you more likely to play a game.

If Rockstar makes it, I will usually give it a go as they do excellent work.

4. Name an company/franchise that has burned some bridges for you.

Tiburon, makes of Madden really pissed me off when they removed custom playbooks from the franchise mode of that series. The lost me then.

5. Name a game that you can and do quote from.

Grand Theft Auto, of course. Time Splitters: Future Perfect(It's time to SPLIT!) and Red Dead Revolver/Gun.

6. Name a game soundtrack that you know all of the lyrics to, or one that you bought after hearing it in the game.


I own the soundtrack to Wipeout(no real lyrics to know for that anyway) and I know the lyrics to every song on Gran Turismo 2.

7. Name a game that everybody should just shut up about already.

God of War... it is good, but it's not THAT good.

8. Name a game that you would recommend everyone play.

Red Dead Revolver is a underappreciated gem and The Peace Keepers from the SNES was also overlooked.

9. Name a game that you dominate.

I went undefeated for a 7 season period in NCAA Football 2000.

10. Name a game that you initially hated, but grew to love upon giving it a second chance.

Definitely SOCOM... I didn't get how anyone would find that frustrating game fun... and then I played SOCOM 3, and now I love them all.

11. Favorite arcade games?
Xain'd Sleena, Super Dodge Ball and Spy Hunter

12. Ever used something you learned in a game in a real life situation?


From Flying Dragon, I figured out how to flip/throw someone over my shoulder, and that you have to admit, is pretty cool for something gleaned from a NES game.

13. Name a game that you keep meaning to try but just haven’t yet gotten around to it.

I want to try Shadow of the Colossus and I still need to play Bully

14. Ever taken a game back because it sucked?

I took Madden 2006 back because they took out that aforementioned feature I referred to earlier.

15. Name a game that made you cry because of the story/characters(and not out of frustration).

After my grandmother died, there is a scene in Final Fantasy VI that made me cry involving Cid, Celes and an island. If you played it, you probably know what scene I am talking about.

16. Do you own games that you've never played(this includes games that you've bought, put in the machine and played once or twice)?

I played Half Life and The Thing from the PS2 twice a piece.

17. What older games would you like to see a new version/sequel of?

Super Dodge Ball(I would pay so much money for this), River City Ransom, Guardian Heroes and Gun Griffon.

18. Did you ever own a weird peripheral(Dance pads/faux guitars included)?

I had R.O.B. the robot and the power glove... I think the answer to that is yes.

19. What’s your favorite/preferred genre of game?

I am a rather balanced game player, though I do have quite a few shooters... I used to be a RPG fan, but now, not so much. I own a lot of sports games too.

20. What’s the first game you remember playing on a console?


Centipede on the Atari(it was really a Gemini system, but it is the same difference really).

21. What are some of the worst games you've ever played?

Raiders of the Lost Ark, M*A*S*H for the Atari and Taboo for the NES

22. What is the weirdest game you enjoyed?

The easy choice for this is Katamari Damacy/We Love Katamari

23. What is the scariest gamimg moment you've experienced?

The first time I saw the Giant Baby in Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Tension has played a big part in some of my greatest game moments throughout the years.

24. Have the games you wanted as a kid been made yet?

I wanted a driving game where you could decide which way you were going to go at any time in an urban environment... and we all know how that turned out, don't we.

7 comments:

robkroese said...

Wow, it's just been reconfirmed that I know absolutely nothing about video games.

I do know, however, that it's time for you to come play in my caption contest again!

Anonymous said...

I have to second Katamari being odd...I hate it when I get that music stuck in my head,

MC said...

Diesel: Well, you most likely had better things to do with your time than play games.

Mr. Fab: To paraphrase Alexander Pope, I am a gamer with novices and a novice with gamers.

hilly: So, me going- Nah Nahnahnahnah nahnahnah nananananana-uh will make you hate me? I'll remember that.

Cold Cut Ten said...

>>7. Name a game that everybody should just shut up about already.

>>God of War... it is good, but it's not THAT good.

Amen.

MC said...

Liz: And that is the answer I was expecting flames for.

Cold Cut Ten said...

It's likely you will be flamed by those with minds of children although the game is rated M. I'll get flamed for agreeing with unpopular views which happened quite a lot back when I was on gaming type forums.

I did like God Of War: controls were top notched and presentation was amazing. But it was too short, level designs were only so-so and... quite frankly without the gore, the game is just plain. It's not a revolution in any way.

MC said...

The presentation was the selling point to me, but after I was done, I didn't want to go back and see it all again.