Friday, November 10, 2006

Games I've Never Played

I got the idea for this entry from JimmyCanuck. We were discussing Gears of War and I happened to mention TimeSplitters, and he said he had never played it and claimed to be the worst gamer ever. I think I can claim to be a worse gamer than him.

Now we both mean that the breadth of our play experience isn't what it should be, and that there are a lot of games that we haven't tried, those seminal moments in gaming so to speak, much like saying you are well-read and having never read Shakespeare or many of the other masters of the medium you claim expertise in. Of course, lack of ownership of a system excuses some of these oversights, as platform exclusivity is sometimes a tough thing to overcome on a limited budget.

I've never owned, rented or traded with someone for a survival horror game. That means aside from about 2 minutes trying out Resident Evil 2 on an N64 some years ago, I've never played any game from that entire genre of gaming. That means I have no background with Resident Evil, Fatal Frame, Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, or in short, a large library of games that represent artistic leaps in the medium.

I haven't played a Metal Gear game since the original NES title Snake's Revenge... and now that isn't even considered part of the canon for that series. No good reason for that oversight either.

I've never played an MMORPG... or played a game of the resource gathering Real-Time Strategy sort since the original Warcraft.

And I think the winner here is: I've never played Quake. Ever. Not once.

So now that I've owned up to a few of the blank patches in my gaming experience, what are some of your regrettable blindspots in gaming?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've not every played WoW or EQ...especially Wow (*poke*). LOL, seriously you would think that I have played more games with what my husband does but my depth of gaming is my DS and playing old school stuff like Mario Bros, Tetris or Animal Crossing.

What to date has been your favorite game ever played? You may have already posted it, but with packing and moving, I have no retention right now ;)

MC said...

I think Super Dodge Ball(Arcade/NES) probably ranks right up there as one of my favorites of all time. I've come back to that one many many times.

Unreal Tournament is my most beloved FPS and probably my first experience with online play, and I can't forget Sid Meier's Gettysburg... that was an exceptional tactical game... so I would say it is a toss up between those three titles.

Anonymous said...

I've totally missed out on the whole survival horror genre (Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and so forth). I've also never played Halo, which I understand is some kind of awful sin.

MC said...

Do you own an xbox though... because if you don't then that is a mitigating circumstance with Halo.

arthbard said...

I admit it. I never played Kid Icarus.

I also never completed Tomb Raider--I didn't have a PS1 at the time. I bought a used copy after I got the PS2, but I never played any further than the first couple of stages. I'm sure it was some awesome junk back in the nineties, but now the crappy control scheme really shines through, at least insomuch as anything crappy can be said to shine.

And I've never ever ever played a Final Fantasy game, except for one time when I rented FFII as a kid.

MC said...

Now that Final Fantasy confession... that is saying something ;)