Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Four comics/actors I would love to see more of

I remember back in the mid-90's when I started watching the Larry Sanders show on a regular basis, and it was there that I noticed both Sarah Silverman and Mary Lynn Rajskub, and somehow I knew they were going to both go on to some measure of fame. There was just a quality to both of their work that made me believe that I would be seeing them again over the coming decade, and lo and behold, that belief has come to fruition.

Over the past few years, there have been other performers who I've seen that I think will also get to the next level so to speak. Below are just a few of them:

maria bamfordI remember the first time I saw Maria Bamford do standup, and there was just something about her that really stood out. Whether is was her entertaining vocal characters, the quality of her material (at the time, her material was heavily about working as a temp, so there were many good jokes at her agency's and her temp placement officer), or her general demeanor between the characters, she seemed to bring it every time out. While she does some voice work, I think that she is capable of carrying a sitcom on her own... especially if it was odd or surreal a la Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

ty barnettTy Barnett was the runner-up on this season's Last Comic Standing, and as much as I enjoyed the comedy of Josh Blue, I think that Ty Barnett got robbed. He was solid week in and week out, and he brought new material every time he was out on stage. I could definitely see him going onto bigger and better things, whether it is being a correspondent on something like the Daily Show, hosting a talk show of his own or having a sitcom.

todd glassTodd Glass was a contestant on Last Comic Standing seasons 2 and 3, and his wicked sense of humor, along with his willingness to do a lot to get a laugh( I remember him falling at Jay Mohr's feet and pretending to weep when he was eliminated from LCS), in addition to his large repertoire of material to draw from make him a threat to steal a lot of scenes. I could see him playing the lead or large supporting role in a sitcom, most likely on a network like HBO or Comedy Central that will allow the performers to push the boundaries a little bit.

jessica makinsonI first saw Jessica Makinson, she was playing the archetypal "Weeper" Eleanor on Spike TV's glorious faux reality show/Bachelor parody, Joe Schmo II, and she had the unenviable task of having to remain in character for almost the entire length of the show, as she was the actress chosen to share quarters with the female contestant who didn't know that all wasn't what it appeared. I've also seen her on a few episodes of Jimmy Kimmel Live, and some of her work on the American version of Trigger Happy TV, and she brings a certain lovably geeky energy to all the things she does. I was glad to hear that she is going to be in a new Comedy Central sitcom called Halfway Home about a group of criminals in a halfway house. Somehow I see her making it to the big screen within the next few years or carrying a sitcom on her own.

Only time will tell if I am right or not, but because I like their work so much, I hope I am. Though, if I predicted their paths right, perhaps a lot of other people will be happy as well.

3 comments:

kris said...

Haven't seen Cold Open...do tell. :)

DutchBitch said...

OMG... Sometimes your posts make me feel like I have just crawled from under a rock... a bigun... I don't know any of those people...

MC said...

verity: Cold Open was the name of the second episode of Studio 60, and if you haven't seen it, I don't want to wreck it for you. If you don't watch the show however, click here and select "The countdown to Friday night is nearing its end!" It is a popup Javascript window, so I couldn't just link the video.

AA: (falsetto) What is going on?!?

dutchy: Don't feel bad about that because a) at the moment they are slightly obscure b) they were featured on shows that probably didn't go much further than Australia internationally if that and c) whenever someone mentions British television outside of a few shows, I am as lost as you are.

If it was Sarah Silverman and Mary Lynn Rajskub that were giving you the problem, then I can give you more to go on.