Saturday, July 15, 2006

Week 9: Pageant of the Transmundane

Ah, midsummer after the All-Star break. What a pleasant time... well, not pleasant, but at least it isn't cold anymore. And what better way to celebrate this blistering warm and insect-intensive season but with another award show, though of course, I do this weekly, so it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that I am handing out some more hardware.

This week, Christian over at Cinerati found a nugget of Youtube goodness that was hard to pass up. In "Bill Buckner? What About Bob Stanley?" I got to see something that rocked my world.

You see, some guy took a copy of Tengen's RBI Baseball for the original NES, overlayed an original broadcast of the 10th inning of that infamous game 6 between the NY Mets and the Boston Red Sox in the 1986 World Series, and faithfully recreated a classic moment in Sports history. It is low-tech/high concept machinima at its best. I don't even like baseball, and yet, I had to admire the work that went into that recreation.

I think my favorite moment in the whole thing is about ten seconds shy of the two minute mark. I am not going to tell you what happens, but it was the moment that made me realize that the creator of this movie took it very seriously, and that's why I liked it.

So in honor of Willy Mays Hays and the rest of baseball's fashion elite, I thought that this would be the most fitting version of the Homer Simpson Transmundanity award I could give.



Congrats to Christian and the fine folks at Cinerati for the high quality of all their posts.

The rules of this little contest: Every week I will be selecting one blog post that I have seen from the vast reaches of the blogosphere to bestow with the Homer Simpson Transmundanity Award for being one of the freakiest(in a funny way) things I've seen or read during a 7 day period. It doesn't necessarily have to have been written during the week, I just had to have encountered it. That means that if you find something interesting and repost it like a movie or whatever, if I saw it at your blog first, you get the prize. Of course, creating your own content is also good.

Now, if you see a post that you think is worthy of this illustrious prize, just drop me a line at campybeaver@gmail.com and we'll see if we can't get your entry up and award-ready.

No comments: