Sunday, May 28, 2006

Watch Out Americans: Corner Gas is on its way

It is official: Corner Gas has an American distributor now, which means it may begin showing on American television (likely cable) soon.

Currently it is the best rated show in Canada, and its quirky charms may win you over. I know it certainly won me over the past few seasons, despite the fact that I am a mildly agoraphobic urbanite.

The setting is a rural gas station in the fictional town of Dog River, Saskatchewan, and the colorful characters who work and hang out there make it work. It is some weird hybrid of Seinfeld and The Andy Griffith Show and it works. I mean, there are no huge Ross-Rachel moments(save one admittedly), no cliffhangers... just pure deadpan gold. Things may get a little odd, but nothing is really outlandish, which makes the events as they unfold even funnier. And while it is very Canadian at times (curling and hockey and the Littlest Hobo, oh my), there is a lot that American audiences should find funny too. It is like Lebowski sly and paced, so if you are into that kind of thing(sans the swearing), it may be right up your alley.

If I tried to describe a typical episode, a lot of the charm and humor would just be lost and it wouldn't sound as good as it really is. Suffice it to say, if you just happen to see it one day on Comedy Central or other station (I know Trailer Park Boys appears on BBC America for some reason, so Corner Gas may show up there), you should check it out. It is also available on DVD at Amazon, so you may find it at some video stores too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear that - it's about time we start exporting. Out TV trade defecit must be huge.

I'll be interested to see how the humour plays in the U.S. It's genteel, but amusing for sure.

MC said...

I think it will probably go over better in rural America than say New York and LA... but it does have its witticisms too.

I still love the "Pandora's Wine" episode... great structure, good solid concept and an awesome payoff.

Anonymous said...

I love Corner Gas. It is well written and they don't insult the views with a laugh track.