Friday, May 12, 2006

Odd Movies: Strange Brew

When Strange Brew came out on video in the earlier 1980's, I just thought it was one of the funniest movies I had ever seen, and I recently saw it again on cable, and it was funnier on an even deeper level.

The main characters played by Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis are based on their McKenzie Brothers sketches from the old SCTV show, and in a way, it sort of reminds me of a dopier version of Wayne's World. Basically, it is a very Canadian retreading of Hamlet with many characters in the film fulfilling multiple Shakespearean roles. You can tell it was filmed in Canada even without knowing the landmarks just by looking at the yellow police cars. I guess there was a law on the books stating that you couldn't have a replica police car, even for film purposes back then(though that doesn't explain Police Academy). I just hope that the Americans that have seen it don't believe that we are all beer-swillin', touque-wearin' slobs. I mean, some of us don't like wearing touques, 'cause they mess up your hair, eh?

Of course, there is a member of the cast that really sticks out. Max Von Sydow, who was already well-known from his roles in the Seventh Seal, The Exorcist and the Greatest Story Ever Told appeared as the villain in the movie, which gives it some weight, but really, it is just good old-fashioned stupid fun. I recommend it because its beauty eh! If it is on cable, try to catch it.

The really skippy trailer


No comments: