Friday, July 20, 2007

A Big Lebowski Sequel?

Both John Turturro and Steve Buscemi have been talking about a possible sequel to The Big Lebowski lately, and as a fan of the original film, well, the idea is abhorrent to me. It is also surprising to me that Buscemi is so interested in the potential project given his status in the original.

One of the reasons I really like the Coen Brothers is they haven't felt the need to make sequels to their movies. Each represents a singular story, and while there may be other tales to be told with those characters, they seem to have the good sense to let things lie. Of course, there is speculation that if the Coen Brothers are indeed developing a film, it would be more like a spinoff rather than a direct sequel to the adventures of the Dude. But still, I think the whole thing would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Last May, I discussed the time frame of The Big Lebowski in the L.A. universe, and thought it strange that 15 months following the events of the movie, Los Angeles was consumed by riots, and I titled it based on the words of the Stranger... that the dude was the man of his place and time... and naturally the corollary is true... The Big Lebowski is a movie of its place and time, and something that shouldn't be repeated.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Have you heard about Lebowski Fest? I think it's happening soon or just happened. It's amazing that this movie is so popular they have conventions. That said it IS a pretty great movie.

And you are so right a sequel is a terrible idea.

MC said...

It isn't just one fest though... they have them all over the country. I've never been to one, but the brochures look nice.