Friday, February 08, 2013

Community: Season 4 Premiere Impressions (No Spoilers)

There has been a lot of press about the season premiere of Community in the past 24 hours, and a lot of it has been negative, and I get it, I really do. There was a weight of expectation going into last night since the fan base had been waiting a long time for the episode and with all the news about what has been going on behind the scenes with the firing of Dan Harmon and the problems with Chevy Chase, and everything else that has been going on, there was clearly a lot of extra scrutiny on the show.

I am not going to lie to you and tell you that last night's episode was the best thing ever, but really, I can't say it was the worst the show has been either. It felt a bit busy, like the writers were trying to cram too much in a short time, but as sins go, that's forgivable, because the pilot does that too... in fact, looking back, all the season openers do that.



I am willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt for now because I remember some of the episodes from the first season that left me with similar feelings, like the series hadn't gotten its footing yet.People seem to be panicking and pronouncing this the worst season ever and other such things, but really, it is a really small sample size at the moment.

In fact, if I am honest with myself, I have to admit that there are episodes from the first three seasons which I don't really like. You know, I pop in the DVDs and I just skip them because they are just not as entertaining for me, and looking at the episode list on Wikipedia, that list ends up being more episodes than I can count on my fingers, but the ones I don't really like are more than made up for by episodes like "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons", "Modern Warfare" and "Remedial Chaos Theory" and I'm okay with that.

I am going to give it time, and those of you afraid that the show has lost its soul or something else like that, I would advise you to do the same.

No comments: