Monday, November 14, 2011

Another Remake I'd Be OK With

I was watching Risky Business on cable recently and it occurred to me that perhaps it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to remake it.

Because, let's be honest with ourselves... the original, while it did make Tom Cruise a star, wasn't really that good.

I am not saying anything bad about anyone who enjoys the original, because I like a lot of movies that could be classified as mediocre to bad. It doesn't reflect poorly on you.

It was an ok movie, with a score by Tangerine Dream that was likely better than the film it was supporting, but aside from that one iconic scene to Old Time Rock N Roll, do people even really reference it anymore. I think it has lost whatever relevance it once had.

And I'd rather Hollywood go after this movie than so many other better and more enjoyable films from the era.

Not that I am the arbiter of what movies get remade.

1 comment:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

The original RISKY BUSINESS seemed like the perfect combination of young star and edgy storytelling (for the time) It's almost a cliche now but you remember at the time what a huge hit it was and how culturally relevant it was. I wish they would leave some things well enough alone.