Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Gripe: Game Developers/Publishers and System Requirements

In many ways, console gamers have it so much easier than those who play on a PC or a Mac. And I am not simply talking about system configurations, drivers and OS compatibility issues.

I am talking about getting information about if you can even run a game before it is released.

I mean, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is coming out in about 2 and a half weeks, and yet, Bethesda somehow doesn't know what the system requirements are going to be. I don't really see how that is possible. The same goes for THQ, which is releasing Saints Row 3 a few days later. I don't think this is simply a case of, if you have to ask, you can't run it.

As a developer, they must have some idea of at what their recommended requirements for that game should be at this point. Since they are selling these games through digital distribution channels with preorder bonuses, as a potential customer, the hardware requirements are something that I would really need to know before making a commitment to spend money on their product. That is something which console gamers don't have to contend with... if they have the system which the game is coming out on, they know they can buy and play the game when it is released. Simple as that.

I think it is a reasonable expectation as a consumer.

EDIT: And as soon as I write this, the system requirements for Skyrim were finally released.

No comments: