Wednesday, March 23, 2011

As Much As I Am Loath To Admit It...

...the major cable news network that I think of least when I think of the word "news" is actually carrying a lot more relevant news on their website's front page than their competitors.

FoxNews

CNN

MSNBC

If you showed me these three front pages without the identifying information and asked me which one would likely have the most actual news content, I'd have to pick FoxNews today.

And I saying that, I now want to throw up a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, this is a pop culture blog, and I totally respect entertainment related stories... but if it is between what is going on in Libya and Japan, and Elizabeth Taylor's death in terms of being newsworthy, I know which side of the scale demands more weight from my perspective. If the events happening right now around the world weren't so turbulent, disturbing and far reaching, then perhaps I could see devoting so much space above the fold to Elizabeth Taylor (or you know, starting a news broadcast with a retrospective about her), but this is not the time for that.

It is a loss yes, but this isn't a first segment/above the fold story right now.

I guess I could always turn to Al Jazeera's English site:


Yes, that seems sufficiently urgent to me, and actually seems like a bunch of stories which should be on the front page of a news site.

No comments: