Monday, January 17, 2011

Rest In Peace, Trish Keenan

Broadcast frontwoman Trish Keenan passed away on Friday due to pneumonia-related complications. She was 42.


I had been a fan of Broadcast from the first time I saw the video for Papercuts, and it was mainly due to the haunting quality that Trish Keenan's voice had.

I own all the group's albums, but I never got to see them perform live, and from what I've heard, I really did miss something special, because it was in that sort of environment that Trish Keenan shone the brightest.

I am listening to the Work and Non-Work album as I write this, and it is as beautiful now as it was when I first heard it. That collection, along with The Noise Made By People got me through a lot of things in my life and to know that the force behind them is no longer with us affects me more than I thought possible.

The news that she had died hasn't fully sunk in yet. I was writing another post when I just happened to click on a link to an article on The Guardian about her passing, and that is how I found out. It took me a second when I read the summarizing paragraph to realize she had died because my brain caught up to the fact that the words being used were in the past tense.

I have the some of the same sadness in my heart that I did when I learned of Mary Hansen's accident in December 2002. I also feel guilty for some strange reason, and I don't know why.

Her friends and family have my deepest sympathies and condolences.

No comments: