Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The George Lopez Divorce

I should begin by stating that I am not mocking this parting or the individuals involved.

And this post is an exception to a way of thinking I've been rather clear in demonstrating.

After all, I've been rather critical of celebrity relationship reporting in the past, but in this case, my morbid curiosity is getting the better of me because there is a rather unique issue in this particular split which is really making me wonder.

You see, about 5 years ago, George Lopez was suffering from a disease which caused his kidneys to shutdown and die, and his wife gave him one of hers.

And now they are divorcing.

You can sell a car or a house, you can share the custody of a child. But how do you quantify a body part that helps keep one party alive. Would it even come up in the discussions?

Because if it did, I could see it being used as a huge bargaining chip, the trump card in any disagreement.

Say George Lopez doesn't want to pay a particular amount of money per month for alimony... I could see his soon to be ex-wife or her lawyers stating that I guess the fact that she gave him a kidney isn't worth anything.

And apparently he was cheating. How do you cheat on someone who helped you stay alive? Infidelity is horrible, but that just takes it to a whole new level of dick moves.

Given that another famous victim of infidelity (Sandra Bullock) helped get his first sitcom off the ground, he is really burning some bridges too.

Now I am not a fan of Jay Leno, but somehow George Lopez has made himself less likable than him. That is a mean feat.

2 comments:

Maven said...

I thought the same exact way re: the impending Lopez divorce.

MC said...

And he is going to be on Conan sometime this week. I don't think this is going to come up.