Monday, September 20, 2010

Comedy Gold: Electric Boogaloo

I haven't done a comedy gold post in a long, long time, and I was thinking about a particular two word phrase that I've always loved.

It isn't so much a movie or television phenomenon, but a blogging/journalism running gag.

I am of course, talking about the use of the phrase "Electric Boogaloo".

As Wikipedia describes this particular kind of usage.

"X 2: Electric Boogaloo." Where X is a film, and is used to describe an unnecessary, ridiculous, or generally unwanted sequel. Originated from the sequel of the movie Breakin', Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.




I think the reason this all came about was due to the fact that Electric Boogaloo just sounds so ridiculous, and it is fun to say and type. If you've never done it, try it.

See what I mean?

It is in the same realm of the or NAMBLA jokes on The Daily Show... it works so well for what it does.

Of course, there is always another level with these kinds of jokes as well. I mean, you could always take a third element from another line of sequels/bad movies to make your displeasure with a potential sequel really apparent.

I've even have a list of subtitles for you to use for your convenience:

Electric Boogaloo in Space
Electric Boogaloo vs Godzilla
Electric Boogaloo takes Manhattan
Electric Boogaloo Scared Stupid
Electric Boogaloo: Mission to Moscow
Electric Boogaloo: The Revenge
Electric Boogaloo 3D
The Next Electric Boogaloo
Electric Boogaloo: The Quickening
Electric Boogaloo: The Marsupials

I just hope the phrase doesn't become so ubiquitous that it loses its humor. That would be a shame.

2 comments:

Semaj said...

Electric Boogaloo: The Quickening: combining to bad sequels into one. I love this one.

MC said...

The Howling 3: The Marsupials is special too.