Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Express Checkout: Elton John, Billy Corgan, PT Anderson

- Say what you want about Elton John's music, but the dude has some heart. After he and his life partner tried to adopt an HIV-infected child from the Ukraine and were denied, he is still planning on supporting the child financially. He cares about that child so much that even though they can't join his family, he still wants to look out for it and I assume make sure it has the medical care it needs (along with other essentials). I respected him before but this takes it to a new level.

- Jessica Simpson is reportedly dating Billy Corgan now. I don't know if it is true, but given some of the other things Corgan has done as of late, it seems entirely within his character, because if any of you have heard him talk in the past, you know that there was indeed a time when he would have thought that he was somehow too good for someone who sang in the country pop world. But I guess selling a song for a credit card commercial, a song which you vowed you'd never sell like that, supporting a bill that devastates small and independent broadcasters and I even recently saw him rip on fans of his band because they want him to play some of their favorite hits during Smashing Pumpkins concerts. When I think about it, Jessica Simpson is too good for him.

- I was reading news items on Film School Rejects, and I came upon an item about Paul Thomas Anderson's next film project, and I have to say I am intrigued, if only because the subject seems to be one that is close to my heart. "In this next opus, Anderson will take on the creation of a new religion, and he’s bringing Philip Seymour Hoffman along as his creator. Hoffman will play “the Master,” or “master of ceremonies,” a charismatic intellectual who creates a faith-based organization that takes the United States by storm in 1952." The year is very important, because there was another organization which started in that year which I have discussed many times in the past. So, if this movie is about what I think it is about (in other words, of course), I am ecstatic.

No comments: