Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Harry Potter on the Verge of Setting Another Record

I was surprised to learn that the Harry Potter film franchise is about to overtake the venerable James Bond films as the highest grossing film series of all time (not adjusted for inflation).

I know the films are a phenomenon, but I am sort of shocked that James Bond, a series which has been going strong for almost 40 years and over 20 movies, is about to be supplanted by a group of films which have been developed and created within the last decade (and truth be told, aside from the first Potter movie, I haven't seen much of the series).

Now I personally don't have a problem with the producers taking and running with this claim. I mean, there is something to be said for being at least in part responsible for bringing the highest grossing set of properties to the screen after all. I just feel it is in part a false claim at this point. Now when the series is complete, then I would feel entirely comfortable with the claim.

But I am forced to admit that most of the Bond movies were released before the days of the blockbuster so they weren't the cash cows they were to become as of late, so even adjusting for inflation, I don't think 7-8 of their highest grossing films together would do 5 billion or more, which is an impressive figure no matter how you slice it.

5 comments:

poppedculture said...

All Hollywood box office records are bunk. Tell me ticket sales and then we have something to compare. Until then it is all hype better left to the business pages. Why should a consumer get excited about how much money a film made anyway?

Megan said...

@ Jeremy - Money talks? Especially in this town...

MC said...

Jeremy: Because we are saps, especially in this case. If it was part of a less established series where money would determine if there would be a new chapter, then the gross would indeed be important.

Megan: I am sure Harry Potter has built a lot of houses in Britain and Los Angeles.

Arjan said...

Ticket sales are more important to me too, but I think the potter movies have been and will be seen by A LOT of people, but I don't know if there's any recalculation necessary for a population index or something or the percentage of money we spent at the cinema etc.

The HP movies have such a wide audience that maybe the competition isn't completely fair, but well as long as they keep them coming and they're worth watching.

*hehe word verification bumpres, almost bumpress (blogger ^^)..maybe it's just my bad sense of fridaynight humor*

MC said...

I am just hoping the Twilight series doesn't best it in terms of its collective grosses.