Thursday, July 09, 2009

Enduring the Irritating Just to Spite Someone Else

There is a little scene from the television show Becker which I always keep in mind for situations like this.

There was a flickering street light outside of curmudgeonly Dr. Becker's apartment window, and in a bid to get it fixed, he stands in the lobby of his building trying to get his neighbors, all of whom he has done something to anger in the past, to sign a petition so it will get fixed.

He finally finds another person in the building who is also really being irritated by the street light and would desperately like it fixed. However, knowing that it was also driving Becker crazy gave that guy the strength to endure the misery according to his own words.

In my case, the source of misery is the never ending coverage of Michael Jackson's death and memorial.

When it first happened, I could see why there was such a fuss, but by now, I think most of the stories about it would be exhausted. On some level, I think the coverage has been more pervasive than even the first two weeks of coverage of the Hurricane Katrina disaster. I mean, really, by now every narrative surrounding this has likely been explored by someone in the media.

In short, I desperately wanted it to end.

And then I read a story that all this coverage about Michael Jackson was getting under Bill O'Reilly's skin and he was getting really cranky about it. As you may remember, he is someone who is on my enemies list. Of course, as you can imagine, he wasn't the most tactful guy when discussing the matter, calling the fans who were lionizing Jackson pathetic and attacking Jackson for his extravagant lifestyle while not really contributing to worthy causes. From what I've read, he devoted a lot of time on Tuesday's show to this whole issue, so he either felt it was worth exploring or he knew it was ratings and publicity gold.

So the fact that Bill O'Reilly is getting so bent out of shape about this gives me the strength to carry on and endure this coverage. I can survive. I can persevere. I have the will to take it for the rest of my life if it makes O'Reilly so mad and uncomfortable.

No comments: