Friday, April 24, 2009

Week 50: Pageant of the Transmundane

This week, I read a story about a woman who sent a stripper in her place to a high school reunion and filmed the reactions people had to this woman who was supposed to be her to make a documentary. Was there something weirder than that this week, something a little more... transmundane? We shall soon find out.

This week's winner has been really bringing his A-game to the Homer Simpson Transmundanity Award as of late, as he has been short listing a lot of entries and come close to winning numerous times in the past few months. But this week he would not be denied.

I am of course talking about Jeremy Barker of Popped Culture.

It is almost like Jeremy isn't playing fair because he picked something that covers so many angles in the Transmundanity world. It is a movie mashup, which is always a good start. It features Muppets, which has always been a sure fire winner... and oh yeah, the movie being parodied is the remake of Ocean's Eleven. Yeah, I think that about covers most of the bases really. Sure, there are a few more areas of transmundanity it could have touched, but really, when you hit 3 big things in one little package, that is something special.

And since this week's winning entry has to do with robbery, well, I thought that Homer dressed in black clothes with a black skullcap would be the best complementing image for this particular slice of madness. I hope you agree.



And as is customary for such things, here is the award badge, of which Jeremy has collected more than his fair share.



It has been a while since I had to present one of these, so I had to get it out of storage. Hope it isn't too dusty. Of course, this is Jeremy's second, which is a milestone in and of itself.



Congrats Jeremy for breaking this barrier.
The rules of this little contest: Every week I will be selecting one blog post that I have seen from the vast reaches of the blogosphere to bestow with the Homer Simpson Transmundanity Award for being one of the freakiest(in a funny way) things I've seen or read during a 7 day period. It doesn't necessarily have to have been written during the week, I just had to have encountered it. That means that if you find something interesting and repost it like a movie or whatever, if I saw it at your blog first, you get the prize. Of course, creating your own content is also a very good way to win.

Now, if you see a post that you think is worthy of this illustrious prize, just drop me a line at campybeaver@gmail.com and we'll see if we can't get your suggestion up and award-ready while giving you some credit and a link to your own blog.

3 comments:

poppedculture said...

Sweet, thanks for the high praise! I could spend my day searching and posting amusing links, but I can't find anyone to pay me, so I'll take Tranmundane badges instead. And I totally promise to post them soon too.
Thanks MC!

Maven said...

Fantastic work on that mash-up!!

MC said...

Jeremy: If I could get paid for doing this period, I'd be happy (aside from the little bit of money I make from ads that is).

Maven: I thought so too. I appreciate the consistency of the characters... a lot of those 300 mashups are internal consistent with the characters speaking.