Friday, April 03, 2009

Week 47: Pageant of the Transmundane

What is the transmundane news item this week? How about this: both a breakfast cereal and Secretary of State Clinton gave people a wrong toll free number that ended up being a phone sex line. Now these were two completely different incidents leading to two different phone sex lines, which is both sort of weird and really funny.

Can this week's winning entry top that? Only time will tell.

The Homer Simpson Transmundanity Award goes to Lee from Quit Your Day Job in something which I have to admit is slightly silly. Especially given the context.

He was reviewing some swag he had received... a bean bag chair (Ooh, the envy over here), and he happened to post a video, which is the thing that won the award this week.

The reasons I picked the entry in question for the win this week is manifold. First, I can't believe he has the particular item which is the object of desire in the video. I mean, that is a tasty looking replica. Secondly, the scene depicted, while not perfect, was done well enough (especially with the music) to merit my notice.

And of course, one of those little subclauses in the unwritten rules of transmundanity is that when choosing between two entries of roughly equal transmundanity, original content from a blogger trumps referred content.

Now, I wanted to find an image from The Simpsons episode "Bart's Friend Falls in Love" which began with an epic parody of the very scene Lee recreated, but alas, I couldn't find a good screen capture of Homer, so I had to go with this perfectly adequate (but not adequately perfect) DVD cover which has much of the same flavor.



Congrats Lee. Here is your second badge for wowing me.




The rules of this little contest: Every week I will be selecting one blog post that I have seen from the vast reaches of the blogosphere to bestow with the Homer Simpson Transmundanity Award for being one of the freakiest(in a funny way) things I've seen or read during a 7 day period. It doesn't necessarily have to have been written during the week, I just had to have encountered it. That means that if you find something interesting and repost it like a movie or whatever, if I saw it at your blog first, you get the prize. Of course, creating your own content is also a very good way to win.

Now, if you see a post that you think is worthy of this illustrious prize, just drop me a line at campybeaver@gmail.com and we'll see if we can't get your suggestion up and award-ready while giving you some credit and a link to your own blog.

3 comments:

Arjan said...

it sure did have a transmundanity flavour haha.
Lee's on a roll. Oh and I want that beanbag too!

Lee said...

That's awesome man I really appreciate it - for literally years I coveted the award and now to have two of my very own :D

MC said...

Arjan: Maybe you'll get a chance to review it for the international market ;)

Lee: Generally people go on hot streaks with these awards, so you might have a triple crown in you yet.