Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I can't believe they made this a Collector's Edition

I was at a video store, picking up a gift for someone when I noticed a particular package behind the counter, one which I thought was worth noting on this blog.



Yes, there is an I Am Legend Ultimate Collector's Set. I could maybe see something like this coming out in a few more years, like maybe in 2017 for a 10th anniversary set... but it has been, what, a year and change since the movie came out? Who was clamoring for this much content about the movie so soon?

Maybe I missed something... perhaps the movie has a huge cult following that I was unaware of. After all, while I do consider myself a pop culture guru on some levels (thus, the whole pop culture blogging thing), I don't always have my finger on the pulse of everything that is going on.

But the thing that sort of makes me doubt this is I haven't even seen even the smallest undercurrent in the blogging village about the movie having that huge of a following. I know it made a quarter billion dollars at the box office, but man, does anyone really really want one of those things?

And there are reports that a prequel to I Am Legend is in the works for 2011, so perhaps I could understand this set coming out for Christmas 2010, but now? Really?

I would just love to see the sales figures for this set by early January, because I have a feeling that it won't sell particularly well.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Interesting. I have no idea where they are coming from with this. Mabye there's a secret underground we don't know about?

MC said...

Or some really creepy zombie-ish creatures they've been experimenting with in marketing.

Arjan said...

I found 'I am legend' entertaining, but not legendary ;)
At what insane price were they trying to sell this anyway. I think I won't even ever buy the ordinary dvd..

MC said...

I am trying to think of movies that I would want in such a set... and the list is very short.