Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Sarah Palin/Tina Fey thing has to stop

Ever since John McCain announced that Alaska Governor Sarah Palin was his running mate, I've noticed a disturbing trend.



It seems to me like a lot of my peers in the political blogging circuit are seeing a 40ish brunette woman with glasses and they are taking a pop cultural short cut by making a connection another brunette bespectacled writer/actor: Tina Fey.



And while I am sure Tina Fey is flattered by the publicity her name has been getting this past week, part of me thinks it is a rather bad comparison. No, when I first saw a picture of Sarah Palin, I thought of a completely different celebrity entirely.



Yes, Roseanne. It just felt like a natural fit for me. That was the comparison I thought other people would start making. Both sold themselves on middle American family values after all. But no, it was Tina Fey all the way.

And then another celebrity also seemed to fit the bill, and as this person started to seem more and more like an apt comparison: Kathy Najimy.



And then it hit me. I finally saw the connection that made McCain's choice of Palin seem almost poetic.



*cues dramatic music* DUN DUN DUN!

I'm a little bit scared now, I really am.

5 comments:

Megan said...

We just want to see where Tina goes with it. The anticipation!

Arjan said...

haha brilliant.

SamuraiFrog said...

Genius. And I couldn't agree with you more on the post title.

Mayren said...

out with Bush - in with The Hill family from Texas.. seems about right.

I'm pretty upset with all the Tina Fey references too. Palin looks NOTHING like Tina Fey for cryin out loud people!

MC said...

Megan: And where too... because she can really take the piss out of herself.

Arjan: Thank you.

SF: I read over at your blog that you had heard some rumors that Lieberman would end up being the Republican VP nominee, which I think would just wipe this whole thread out.

Mayren: And if you think about it, an ornery war hero who doesn't really respect women and a substitute Spanish teacher whose grasp of that language is so bad, it exonerated her from criminal prosecution in Mexico does seem really, really close to what that ticket is bringing to the American public.