Friday, October 27, 2006

30 Rock: Much improved

I have been enjoying 30 Rock a lot more as of late, because it seems like it is finding its footing comedically. It is a lot more wry than the pilot would have had me believe and there has usually been at least 3 or 4 classic lines in each of the new episodes. While it isn't burning up the ratings dial, I do think they are doing some respectable comedic work on that little island of madness.

Of course, now they are going to move it onto Thursday with Scrubs into the 9 PM slot against let's see... CSI, Grey's Anatomy and The OC. Hmmm, now that is a recipe for success, isn't it? I mean, if the show is having problems beating Dancing with the Stars, Jericho and America's Next Top Model, throwing it into the crossfire of Thursday night is going to help it, isn't it? Nice One NBC, nice one.

Modern TV wasn't made for people without DVR's.

4 comments:

poppedculture said...

In my ideal world, I would like to see a meld of 30 Rock and Studio 60 so some of Aaron Sorkin's gravitas could be tempered by Tina Fey's slapstick. Seperatly they are too much of one thing.

And I back you on the DVR. I can't ever go back.

MC said...

It is unfortunate that Studio 60 is getting preempted this week though in the states at least. I wonder if CTV is going to show the pilot again.

A Fey/Sorkin thing could happen if 30 Rock hits the skids badly... I mean, I am sure Mark McKinney could use the help with the sketches and such, and without Lorne Michaels in the background, Sorkin could have some real dirt on SNL.

poppedculture said...

I had wondered, when it was announced they two would be on the same season and network, if they would split the audience and cancel each other out. I'm still willing to give them both more time, but how many others are.

In a related note, I watch the real SNL this week and it was terrible. Both of the fake shows had more laughs,

MC said...

Well, usually the parody/satire of distills something into a purer form. For example, the Daily Show/Stephen Colbert vs. the pundits