Monday, June 19, 2006

Trying out CoComment

A few days ago, I was surfing through BlogMad and I stopped on a blog that had a CoComment "Share your comments" box, which tracked comments that particular blogger had made on other people's blogs, and I thought that was just such an excellent idea, because I love to follow up on comments I have made outside of my own little spot in the blogosphere. So I checked out the underlying technology.

Available as both a bookmarklet for all browsers and as an extension for Firefox, it is a pretty handy little tool. My experience was with the extension, and it was almost effortless to use, as it just added an additional little button next to that blog's version of submit that presented you with the opportunity to add a tag for your list, skip adding it to your tracked list(like if you were answering comments on your own blog for instance), or change the name you are attributing the comment to.

So far my tests have been very positive across a wide net of blogs, from Tech Space to my current tenant Karolczak and Better Living through Chemistry through most of my favorites at Blogger, like Casual Slack and Bulletproof Bracelets.

However, I did notice that Blogger entries with popup commenting, BlogCharm and Expression Engine blogs(the few I saw and could identify) didn't really fit with the system, but other than that, I do like being able to keep almost all my comments in one place, especially when I comment on someone else's blog during a surfing session.

It is still in a very early version(0.2 to be exact), but if this sounds like something you could use, you should check CoComment out. And don't be surprised if I have a recent comments at other blog's box in the near future either.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to train myself to use CoComment for ALL my comments on other blogs, and I just haven't gotten it down yet. Part of it is because I've spent so much time on Livejournal, where you can choose to have all comment replies mailed to you. The other part is because my Firefox bookmark menu bar is jammed so full that the CoComment bookmarklet keeps getting shoved off. XD

Anonymous said...

I love it when a plan comes together. Like seeing someone has commented on your blog, going over to theirs to see if you like what they're all about and then finding out you do! Thanks for the handy tip... I'm off to blogmad now. Nice to make your acquaintance.

BiBi x

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'm going to check it out.

MC said...

Vi: see, that's part of the reason I opted for the extension, as it does most of the remembering for me. ;) I was at LJ for a full 11 posts before going to a second blog... so I do remember some of those neat little features :)

Bibi: Well, it was a rare afternoon, as great blogs seemed to be popping up one after another. It was nice to make your acquaintance as well.

D: I am sure you will get a lot of use out of it. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, it was you who used CoComment on my site. I saw it in my stats and wondered what it was so I checked it out. Quite a cool idea! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

MC said...

Yeah... sorry about that... hehe

Anonymous said...

I'm trying it out, sounds like a cool service. I too noticed you trying it earlier but didn't sign up until you convinced me.

MC said...

Perhaps with us all using it, it will make the process of solidifying it all that much faster.