Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Trouble with Amy Poehler

I was watching a rerun of Conan O'Brien today, and one of his guests was Tina Fey, and of course, whenever she is on the show, they always bring up her SNL Weekend Update co-anchor Amy Poehler. Now, she is a rather talented comedic performer, but unfortunately, she has a stain in my mind.

You see, she will always be Andy Richter's Little Sister in my mind, a gal in headgear that loves Conan and tackles like a defensive lineman. The character sort of reminds me of that girl Lane Meyer's father sets him up with in Better Off Dead, only less nerdy, and if you have never seen one of those sketches, that may give you a better idea of what kind of block I am working through.

Not even seeing her as the Tourette's sticken date of Deuce Bigalow in the original movie or the various characters she has played since can wipe that image out of my head. I know the whole character was only an extension of something she had done for the Upright Citizens Brigade, but as the saying goes, sometimes first impressions are the ones that last. Yes, she is a funny funny woman, but every time I see her or hear her name, it is always Andy's sister, Andy's Sister, Andy's sister!

I mean, she could go on to win a Best Actress Academy Award playing a troubled Nun who becomes disillusioned with the calling alongside Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson and Robert Duvall and in my mind, I am just going to be thinking: "Wow, Andy Richter's sister just won an Oscar! I wonder if she is going to tackle the presenter, though I don't think Morgan Freeman's hips can take a shot like that."

Perhaps her upcoming work in movies like Spring Breakdown, Blades of Glory and Southland Tales will break the hold that character has on the Amy Poehler persona. Until this theory is tested however, Mrs. Will Arnett will always be playing Andy's psycho sister in my head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to love the "Upright Citizens Brigade." Unfortunatley I've only seen a few episodes but what I saw I loved. I think she does a really good job on "Weekend Update."

MC said...

See, living in Canada, the only time I got to see the UCP was when they were on a talk show or featured as part of something else.