Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Free Online Albums: The Happies

I was going through some of the MP3's on my computer (they are all legal, so back off RIAA), and I found a few tracks I downloaded months ago by the Happies thanks to a short blurb on 3hive, and I was intrigue enough to visit their site and find that their whole first album was available free for download.

Meet the Happies is a slowcore/drone pop kind of album in the same vein as some of Low's work, though you can hear the influence of Stereolab and Belle and Sebastian on the album too (there is even a song called "This is yr Stereolab" and the cover is an homage to the first few albums the groop put out). I think the song I am most taken with though is "Dogs in the Park", a slow slice of folky melancholia that makes me almost miss winter. Almost.

But the thing that impresses me the most is there are quite a few different genres and sounds here, so I am sure that there may be a song or two for everyone on this album. And since it's free, you really don't have anything to lose by checking it out. Tell me what you think of it.

No comments: